Imagine, you are on a cruise ship enjoying your well-deserved holiday. Your drinking a cocktail while enjoying the nice weather on the sun deck near the pool. Everything is perfect. Meanwhile, in the vessel’s engine room, one of the chief mechanics is getting an alert on his mobile. Wärtsilä data detected that the temperature of the main fuel pumps is increasing unexpectedly. After a quick check-up, it seems that one of the valves is broken and needs to be repaired immediately. Due to our machine learning algorithms, unplanned downtime of the cruise ship was prevented.
Working as a Back-end developer at Wärtsilä, you will co-create innovative products together with our customers. Our products improve the safety, reliability and efficiency of vessels and power plants all over the world.
Together with one of our scrum teams of developers, testers and data scientists, you will work on the development of software which will be used for predictive maintenance and performance optimization of our customers’ assets. Your focus areas will be the further development of our current data analysis pipeline that allow our equipment experts to effectively use the data of hundreds of ocean-going vessels and power plants to provide insights toward our customers.
- You participate in the development of our back-end applications, databases and APIs.
- Align implementation efforts with other back-end developers across multiple development teams.
- Collaborate together with front-end developers in the team to reach the shared goal.
- Participate in architecture and roadmap discussions.
- You ensure that applications are running in a cloud-based environment.
- You are interested in new technologies/techniques and have the ability to apply them in our solutions.
- You work as an active member in one of our scrum teams, consisting of developers, data scientists and testers.
- You have a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or at least 3 years of relevant experience with Java and Python.
- You like to work with Kubernetes and Docker.
- You have experience with SQL and noSQL databases.
- Experience with AWS is desired.
- Experience with automated testing and test-driven development is desired.
- You have interest for AI and / or machine learning technology.
- Conceptual, analytical and creative thinker with a proactive attitude and ability to learn.
- You are a team player, whilst being self-directing.
- You can communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
Due to the international working environment and worldwide customers, you must be willing to travel occasionally for this position. The office you will be working is Drunen, The Netherlands.
Wärtsilä is a global leader in smart technologies and complete lifecycle solutions for the marine and energy markets. By emphasising sustainable innovation, total efficiency and data analytics, Wärtsilä maximises the environmental and economic performance of the vessels and power plants of its customers. In 2018, Wärtsilä’s net sales totalled EUR 5.2 billion with approximately 19,000 employees. The company has operations in over 200 locations in more than 80 countries around the world. Wärtsilä is listed on Nasdaq Helsinki.
Hoe nu verder
We highly care for employability of all our employees hence employees are encouraged to utilize the variety of training activities, learning solutions and self-study materials. The opportunity to further develop your talents and competencies within an international working environment, in an ambitious, growth orientated organisation. We offer excellent primary and secondary terms of employment and a healthy work-life balance. We foster openness, respect and trust. The culture can be described as down to earth and decisive.